Kelley Farm, Bernard
A year-round recreational destination, Kelley Farm in Bernard offers dramatic views of the area, including the mountains of Acadia National Park.
Kelley Farm is great for:
- Picnicking – Pack a lunch and find a scenic picnic spot near the shore.
- Walking – Explore the network of family-friendly paths that crisscross the preserve.
- Kayaking – Launch your kayak from the hand-carry, tidal access point on the shores of Cousins Creek.
- Winter Fun – After winter storms have blanketed the area, enjoy sledding, cross-country skiing, and snowshoeing across the preserve’s open fields.
How to get there
From the junction of Routes 102 and 102A in Tremont, drive 1.0-mile west on Route 102. The preserve is on the left, beyond the Tremont Consolidated School and immediately after crossing the bridge over Cousins Creek. There is a parking lot in the southwest corner of the preserve.
For a complete map with legend and guidelines, click on the Printable Preserve Map above.
Notes on topography, flora, and fauna
The 10-acre Kelley Farm Preserve is a saltwater farm in the village of Bernard on Mount Desert Island. The property is almost entirely open fields which slope gently down to Cousins Creek, a tidal inlet in upper Bass Harbor.
The preserve enjoys agricultural soils of statewide significance. In 2015, MCHT worked with local students to establish vegetable gardens on the farm. Together with similar efforts at nearby Babson Creek Preserve, the two properties offer the communities the opportunity to grow healthy foods and provide much needed produce to foodbanks and local families.
How Kelley Farm became open to the public
MCHT purchased the property from the Kelley family in 2014.
This place belongs to all of us. Help us take care of it!
- No Camping Permitted
- No Fires Permitted
- Foot Traffic Only – Trails Are Not Suitable for Wheeled Vehicles
- Carry Out All Trash
- Including Human and Pet Waste and Toilet Paper
- Keep Pets Under Control
- Please Respect the Privacy of Preserve Neighbors
- Do Not Remove Archaeological Artifacts