Espy Land Heritage Award
Maine Coast Heritage Trust presents the Espy Land Heritage Award to an individual, organization, agency or coalition for exemplary conservation efforts in Maine.
The award recognizes those that have made outstanding contributions to land conservation in Maine while inspiring others.
In 2008 the award was renamed and endowed in honor of Maine Coast Heritage Trust’s long-time President, Jay Espy. In doing so MCHT’s Board sought to celebrate Jay’s vision and leadership for land conservation and his spirit of collaboration. In his early days at MCHT, Jay was instrumental in helping new land trusts form. His commitment and passion for land conservation as a local process was unwavering during his 24 years at the Trust and is evidenced in MCHT’s numerous undertakings in support of land conservation and the land trust community.
View listing of past Espy Land Heritage Recipients.
Call for nominations for the Espy Land Heritage Award
Now, in honor of Jay Espy and with thanks to generous donors from Maine Coast Heritage Trust’s Board and Council, we are pleased to issue a call for nominations for the 2021 Espy Land Heritage Award. The recipient of the award will be recognized at the Maine Land Conservation Conference in April and will be entitled to direct $5,000.00 to the non-profit organization of their choosing.
- Nominee’s history/body of conservation work
- Specific recent accomplishments that have benefited the nominee’s community and its people
- Willingness to experiment, innovate, and take risks
- Response to community needs
- Lasting impact of work
- Extent to which receipt of the award by nominee will inspire, influence, or otherwise advance land conservation efforts in Maine
Nomination process and eligibility
- Nomination forms are available from and at www.mltn.org/ (Word)
- Nominations must be submitted no later than Friday, March 5, 2021
- Nominees can be an individual, organization, agency or coalition
- Nominations can be based on a particular, recent accomplishment or based on a longer-term commitment and series of land conservation related accomplishments
- Nominees cannot be a Board or Staff member of Maine Coast Heritage Trust and Maine Coast Heritage Trust may not be a principal player in a coalition or project selected for the award
- Nominations can be made by anyone from MCHT Staff and Board, land trusts, partner agencies and organizations and the general public
- Individuals/entities may nominate themselves or others
Nomination Deadline: March 5, 2021