In the heart of the Bold Coast, on Maine Coast Heritage Trust’s Bog Brook Cove Preserve in Cutler, the McCabe cabin offers unparalleled peace and quiet.
This simple, two-story cabin sleeps about six and is equipped with basic amenities listed below. A wall of east-facing windows and front porch overlook the Grand Manan Channel, and a path through beach roses leads to a cobblestone beach. The cabin is surrounded by 1,700 acres of conserved lands and adjoins the 12,200-acre state-owned Cutler Coast Unit. You won’t find night skies like these anywhere else on the East Coast.
The McCable cabin is seasonally rented on a limited basis. Rate, availability, terms, and detailed directions are below.
Availability, Rate, and Booking
McCabe cabin is available for 2-3 night bookings during these windows:
- Monday afternoons to Thursday mornings
- Friday afternoons to Monday mornings
Check-in is 2 p.m. Check-out is 10 a.m.
The rate is $110 per night with a 6-person maximum.
Click "Availability", below, to find available dates.
McCabe Cabin Details
The cabin comes equipped with:
- Propane appliances: small stove with oven, three wall lights, refrigerator and hot water tank
- Outside generator, which powers a deep well pump manually switched on and off to fill a water pressure tank
- One full-sized mattress and four single mattresses in the two upstairs rooms
- Outdoor Gas Grill
- Wood stove and a small amount of wood. Please note: the cabin is not insulated
Please use the generator and all appliances carefully and minimally.
The McCabe cabin is on a preserve open to the public and next to privately owned cottages. While the cabin area is private, you may see other visitors in the area and/or nearby homeowners and guests. Please be respectful of neighbors, especially with regards to noise.
For additional information about the Bog Brook Cove Preserve please visit our preserve page where you will also find a full map of the Bog Brook Cove Preserve.
Directions to Bog Brook Cove Farm- McCabe cabin
From Route 1 in East Machias turn south onto 191. Follow 191 through many twists and turns (through Cutler village) for 20.7 miles. Turn right onto Moose River Rd. It is the only road that has a small grass triangle in the middle of the turn. Go 0.7 miles and turn right, heading up a steep gravel road. Use 4-wheel drive if you have it. In 1.1 miles is a road on the left with a Cotton Rock Road sign and small signs Rosebrooks and McCabe cabin on a tree. Turn left and then take the right off this drive to the cabin.
From Route 1 in Whiting, turn onto Rte 189 toward Lubec. Travel 5.8 miles and turn right onto Rte 191. Go 6.7 miles, then turn left onto Moose River Rd. It is the only road that has a small grass triangle in the middle of the turn. Go 0.7 miles and turn right, heading up a steep gravel road. Use 4-wheel drive if you have it. In 1.1 miles is a small left with the signs Rosebrooks and McCabe cabin on a tree. Turn left and then take the right off this drive to the cabin.
- Full payment is required to hold a reservation.
- Cancellation Policy: 100% refund if more than 30 day notice is given.
- Cabin is self-service, and guests are asked to leave the cabin clean and ready for the next guests.
- Guests provide their own water, food, bedding, paper towels, and toilet paper. Cabin will be supplied with propane, basic dishes, pots, and pans, and kerosene for lamps
- Every attempt will be made to keep gas in the generator, but this cannot be guaranteed. The generator uses regular gas, with no oil mix.
- Removal of all trash at the end of stay is the responsibility of the guest. Bagged trash should be taken with you or placed in the boxed bins near the road on the way out.