Senior Staff Accountant II
Under the general supervision of the Director of Finance, participates in the daily accounting needs of MCHT, maintains net asset balances of donor restricted funds, processes all activity related to our conserved land activity & farm operations, prepares account reconciliations and provides assistance with the preparation of quarterly financial statements and year end audit schedules.
Essential Job Functions
- Process all the Trust’s activity related to conserved land and other fixed assets;
- Manage the activity associated with donor restricted funds, and maintain current unexpended balances;
- Assist Project Managers & Foundations Manager with financial information required for all federal & private grant proposals & applications, as well as periodic reporting required by awarding entities;
- Process all activity associated with the Revolving Loan Fund;
- Assist with the yearend calculation of the Trust’s net assets by fund and classification;
- Calculate & record staff time associated with the acquisition and stewardship of all MCHT’s preserves and other projects as deemed appropriate;
- Process all activity related to the farm operations, and provide quarterly financial reporting;
- Prepare departmental quarterly expenditure budget vs actual statements;
- Assist with appropriately processing activity associated with our risk management policies;
- Provide back up support for processing accounts payable & cash receipt activity;
- Assist with the preparation of quarterly financial statements, projections and other financial reports for management, Board of Directors, Audit & Investment Committees;
- Provide assistance in the preparation of documents required for the trust’s annual audit;
- Assure compliance with all applicable internal controls and policies;
- Recommend processing improvements to remove redundant and inefficient procedures;
Education & Experience
Preferred: Bachelor or Associate Degree in Accounting or a related field with three to five years of not for profit accounting experience.
- Working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP);
- Experience with not for profit net asset classifications & financial statement preparation;
- Ability to maintain a high level of Confidentiality;
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail;
- Flexibility to manage frequent interruptions;
- Strong interpersonal and oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to effectively operate computers and software necessary for assigned duties, including Microsoft Office Excel and Word, and financial accounting software (with preference for Blackbaud Financial Edge & Raisers Edge Software);
- Regular attendance at the workplace is required;
- Attendance may be required for periodic evening and weekend events throughout the year.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
Work is performed in a normal office environment not subject to extremes of noise, temperature, odor, etc. Operates computer, printer, photocopier, and basic office equipment. Work requires extended sitting and repetitive motion in the use of computer, keyboard, and mouse. Occasional moderate to heavy lifting required.
*This is a permanent, full-time, non-exempt position with a benefits package including insurance, vacation time, and a retirement plan.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer, as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change
Maine Coast Heritage Trust does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law