Mount Desert Island Assistant Stewards (seasonal, full time)
Maine Coast Heritage Trust (MCHT) is looking for 3 month and 5 month stewardship assistants to work with MCHT stewardship staff based in our Mount Desert Island office. The positions are for 3 or 5 months (from late May through September – exact dates to be determined). Applicants must be self-motivated individuals able to work independently, and as part of a team. The work will include a variety of different stewardship tasks, with an emphasis on helping regional stewards from Penobscot Bay to Washington County with some occasional time further afield.
- Preserve monitoring & maintenance, including trail work, boundary marking, field maintenance, and interacting with the public.
- Conservation easement monitoring, under the supervision of regional stewards.
- Miscellaneous carpentry work on kiosks, barn infrastructure and other small structures.
- Invasives management under the direction of regional stewards.
- Participation in and coordination of volunteer beach clean ups and other activities.
- Data entry and record keeping.
Skills and Experience Sought
- Good verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working in the field, alone and with others.
- Ability and desire to perform hard physical work.
- Experience operating and maintaining the following: Chain saw, brush saw and hand tools. Will provide training if necessary.
- Experience building and maintaining backcountry trails.
- Good sense of humor when the weather is bad and the bugs are biting.
- Natural history knowledge/interpretation experience.
- Experience working with invasive plants and Maine Board of Pesticide Control certification desirable.
- Good basic seamanship skills and experience operating power boats desirable.
- Valid Driver’s License and use of a vehicle.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
Field work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions and requires climbing, walking, bending, crouching, lifting, reaching, and other physical capabilities. Regular travel is required. Some work is performed in a normal office environment not subject to extremes of noise, temperature, odor, etc. Operates computer, printer, and other office equipment
The Seasonal Stewardship Assistants will be paid $16/hour on a bi-weekly basis. Work related travel will be reimbursed at .575 cents per mile.
Staff housing is available.
Deadline to apply is February 24, 2020.
Maine Coast Heritage Trust does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.