MDI/Stone Barn Farm Community Conservation Outreach Coordinator
The MDI/Stone Barn Farm Community Conservation Outreach Coordinator will work with others in the organization to develop effective outreach programs and activities to meet organizational goals, in addition to managing MCHT’s new 128-acre Stone Barn Farm Preserve. The individual will be expected to live at the Farm and coordinate activities there. They will also coordinate volunteers in the region and will work with Regional Stewards to develop activities and programs on MCHT’s mid-coast preserves to engage residents, connect people to conserved lands, and seek other ways to provide benefits to the area.
Essential Job Functions
- Property and facilities management of the Stone Barn Farm Preserve, including maintenance of grounds around the building, trail management, signs, public use management and working with others to develop a long-term management plan for the property.
- Work with Stewardship staff to develop and implement community conservation programming and activities at our MDI and other Hancock County preserves.
- Working as a member of a cross-departmental team, help develop and implement an organization-wide plan for public outreach and engagement that will:
- Reach diverse audiences of different age groups, different communities
- Stimulate increased use of targeted preserves – especially high-profile preserves
- Deepen community engagement with specific preserves
- Connect people with MCHT
- For the MDI area, coordinate volunteer recruitment and retention, improve existing volunteer management systems, help other staff manage and use volunteers, and develop engagement strategies to bring volunteers closer to MCHT.
- Work with Development, Communications and Land Protection Staff to coordinate organizational outreach.
- Maintain detailed records for all events and programs, including involvement of staff, volunteers, and general participants.
- Assist stewards and Development staff with outreach events and other tasks.
- Coordinate existing community garden and Kids Can Gro programs on MDI
- Assist with land management activities to improve public engagement, including management plans, and communications about and on preserves.
- Attend Stewardship Department meetings and trainings, Board meetings and other organizational activities.
- Coordinate and work with other staff as necessary, including: Communications staff regarding information for publications, public outreach materials, and media needs; Development staff in planning events; Administrative staff regarding the smooth operation of all programs and activities,
- Serve as a member of MCHT’s Stewardship Dept and take on specific assignments as requested, including attending meetings, serving on committees, helping with events, assisting other organizations, or developing areas of expertise that will help the organization.
- Perform special projects and other related duties as required, directed, or as the situation dictates.
- Operate watercraft.
- Regular attendance at the workplace is required.
- Working with Supervisor, develop annual budget for planned programming and Stone Barn Farm Preserve.
- Adhere to organizational policies and practices.
Supervise volunteers, interns, and/or seasonal staff.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in natural resources, environmental education, or related field or equivalent experience, with 3-5 years experience coordinating and leading programs and activities.
- Land management experience.
- Familiarity with the region and its communities, both on land and water.
- Strong organization, problem-solving, and multi-tasking skills with attention to detail and deadlines.
- Experience and familiarity with basic land management equipment, i.e. chain saw, tractors.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including public speaking skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Love of the outdoors and introducing people of all ages to it.
- Knowledge of the natural world and its systems.
- Experience leading outdoor activities.
- Flexible and able to work outdoors at all times of the year and on weekends.
- Boat handling skills or the willingness to learn.
- Good physical fitness required to perform duties.
- Good sense of humor and ability to enjoy unexpected changes of plan.
- Ability to effectively operate computers and assigned software, including Microsoft Office and Excel.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
Field work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions and requires walking, bending, crouching, lifting, reaching and other physical capabilities. Operates GPS, compass, camera, boats/marine vessels, trucks, hand tools, and other equipment. Regular travel is required. Some work is performed in a normal office environment not subject to extremes of noise, temperature, odor, etc. Operates computer, printer, and other office equipment.
*This is a permanent, full-time position with a benefits package including insurance, vacation time, and a retirement plan.
NOTE: The individual will be expected to live at the Farm
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer, as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Maine Coast Heritage Trust does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law