Farm Operations Apprentice, Aldermere Farm
- Department/Division: Stewardship
- Reports To: Farm Operations Coordinator
- Effective Date: September 2018
- Status: Full Time
- Classification: Non-Exempt
The goal of the apprenticeship is to learn how to manage the operations of a farm with livestock through assisting the Farm Operations Coordinator and on and off-site trainings.
Under the direction of the Farm Operations Coordinator, the Apprentice will be taught to assist with operational functions of Aldermere Farm including property management, facility and equipment maintenance and hay operations. The Apprentice will also assist with the cattle as needed.
Essential Job Functions*
- Assist with general maintenance on house, barn, shed and other infrastructure.
- Follow protocols and helps performs preventative maintenance for farm trucks, tractors and equipment.
- Safely operate equipment including tractors (over 100 H.P), trucks, trailers and small machinery and hand tools.
- Work with chainsaws, wood splitters and other tools in following the farm’s forest management plan and in the processing of firewood for the farm buildings and residences.
- Help build and maintain all types of fencing for the property including electric such that it meets Aldermere Farm’s aesthetic values and maintains livestock.
- Assist with hay production including handling and storing hay bales.
- Assist with year-round manure management.
- Occasionally assist the Herd Management Assistant with chores and management of cattle.
- Occasionally assist in the development of spreadsheets and other recordkeeping documents.
- Perform landscaping and lawncare and assist with snow removal.
*Training will be provided for these essential job functions.
- Familiarization with the farm’s general maintenance plan for infrastructure and landscaping
- Preventative maintenance for farm trucks, tractors and equipment
- Safety protocols for operating equipment and tools including chainsaws, wood splitters, tractors (over 100 H.P), trucks, trailers and small machinery
- Building and maintaining various types of fencing
- Familiarization with hay production, handling and storage
- Creating a year-round manure management plan
- Familiarization with a forest management plan
- Basic management of cattle
- Best practices for recordkeeping
*This list is not all inclusive. Learning objectives derived from the individual Apprentice’s goals may be added.
- Must be willing to work varied and occasional weekends due to the nature of the farm operations.
- Valid driver’s license
Education And Experience
Practical experience in agricultural, construction, mechanical and/or property management.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills utilizing creativity and a high degree of common sense
- Good interpersonal oral communication skills
- Ability to safely perform or learn necessary skills related to light carpentry, rudimentary welding, operating heavy machinery, and all manner of physical tasks related to essential job functions
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to accomplish time critical tasks
- Ability to work independently and part of a team
- Ability to communicate clear expectations to staff and volunteers
- Ability to coordinate projects with peers in the organization collaboratively
Working Conditions And Physical Demands
Work will be primarily outdoors in year-round conditions and will require significant physical strength and endurance. Some significant care will need to be taken while working around cattle and equipment. Must be able to repetitively lift 50 to 75 lb. hay bales over the course of a work day during haying season. Must be able to safely operate a chainsaw in the felling and processing of trees of all sizes. Must be able to able to safely operate equipment including tractors (over 100 H.P), trucks, trailers and small machinery and hand tools.
How To Apply
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer, as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.