Downeast Maine Stewardship Assistant (seasonal, full time)
Maine Coast Heritage Trust (MCHT) is looking for a full time, seasonal stewardship assistant to work with MCHT stewardship staff based in our Whiting office. The position is for 6 months between May and October with flexible start and end dates. Applicants must be self-motivated, able to work independently or as part of a team, and willing to work some irregular hours (including frequent weekends). The work will include a variety of stewardship tasks, helping to manage MCHT island and mainland preserves in Washington County. Applicants should be familiar with chain saws, mowers, power tools, hand tools, and small boat travel.
- Preserve maintenance, including trail work, chain saw work, mowing, boundary marking, and interactions with the public
- Brush sawing and mowing with a walk-behind bush hog-type mower
- Help conduct scheduled public events and volunteer workdays on MCHT preserves
- Work closely with regional stewards on larger projects, such as invasive species control, clean-ups and larger trail projects
- Help maintain equipment including MCHT work boat, truck, and tools
- Data entry and record keeping
Skills and Experience Sought:
- Ability and desire to perform hard physical work in remote locations
- Basic computer skills
- Willingness to work alone or with a group
- Experience working with volunteers and the general public
- Experience operating and maintaining chain saws, brush saws, and hand tools
- Flexibility and good sense of humor when the weather is bad and the bugs are biting
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Basic seamanship skills and experience
- Valid driver’s license and use of a vehicle
Field work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions and requires climbing, walking, bending, crouching, lifting, reaching, and other physical capabilities. Regular travel is required. Some work is performed in a normal office environment not subject to extremes of noise, temperature, odor, etc. Office based work includes operating computer, printer, and other office equipment.
The Downeast Maine Stewardship Assistant will be paid $16/hour on a bi-weekly basis. Work-related travel will be reimbursed at 56 cents per mile.
Maine Coast Heritage Trust does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. We are an equal opportunity employer dedicated to creating an inclusive culture where employees from diverse backgrounds can thrive and support our mission.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.