Cattle Management Apprenticeship, Aldermere Farm
Department/Division: Stewardship/Aldermere Farm
Reports To: General Manager
Effective Date: September 2018
Status: Full Time
The goal of the apprenticeship is to learn how to manage a beef cattle farm and agricultural programs through assisting the Herd Management Assistant and on and off-site trainings.
Under the direction of the General Manager and the Herd Management Assistant, the Apprentice will be taught to assist with all cattle related functions of Aldermere Farm including feed and nutrition, breeding and calving, sales of cattle and semen, and purchase of breedstock and beef cattle. The Apprentice will also assist with Aldermere programs like 4-H, Beef Basics and other initiatives.
Essential Job Functions*
- Assist with all healthcare and medical needs of the animals including giving vaccinations, watching for illnesses, and basic care.
- Help maintain all cattle records and inventories for the farm.
- Analyze cattle monthly and work on projections for beef program.
- Assist with breeding operation to maintain Aldermere’s world class standing as well as to generate revenues.
- Assist with cattle at local, regional and national venues.
- Assist with cattle marketing.
- Assist with the youth agricultural programs, such as Farm Hands and 4-H beef club. During Farm Hands, lead classes in halter training of calves and cattle care. During Aldermere Achiever 4-H Club, create a positive learning environment for the youth, and stay in direct and close communications with their families. 4-H members will be expected to volunteer doing significant tasks for the farm, and the Herd Management Coordinator and Apprentice must make sure they are done safely and efficiently.
- Represent MCHT well when interacting with the public.
- Help ensure that Aldermere staff and volunteers always adhere to our high standards for animal welfare.
- Work with staff and volunteers in any/all aspects of farm operations – building maintenance, grounds care, pen cleaning, and haying.
- Assist with and support other public/community events and farm programs.
- Collaborate well with others to ensure that cattle care is met and to assist with other operation tasks.
*Training will be provided for these essential job functions.
- Familiarization with healthcare and medical needs of the cattle
- Ability to give vaccinations, recognize illnesses and basic care needs
- Maintenance of cattle records and inventories
- Creating projections for a beef program
- Learning basic breeding operation procedures
- Showing cattle in local, regional and national venues
- Basic marketing
- Mentoring youth
- Public speaking
- Building maintenance and farm operations
* This list is not all inclusive. Learning objectives derived from the individual Apprentice’s goals may be added.
Education and Experience
Agricultural, education or business management degrees will be helpful but real-life, practical experience is most necessary.
- Excellent project management, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Good interpersonal oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and part of a team
- Ability to promote and maintain positive public relations and to interact with a wide variety of people
- Ability to communicate clear expectations to staff and volunteers
- Ability to coordinate projects with peers in the organization collaboratively
- Computer skills – basic skills preferred, but not required
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
Work both indoors and outdoors in year-round conditions. Work will require significant physical strength and endurance. Some significant care will need to be taken while working around cattle and equipment. Some office time to maintain records. Possibly time assisting with care/maintenance/harvesting at a vegetable operation owned and managed by MCHT called Erickson Fields Preserve in Rockport.
How to Apply
Please email cover letter and resume to with “Cattle Apprenticeship” in the subject line.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer, as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.