Tinker Island Field Trip
Join Maine Coast Heritage Trust for a morning exploring the beautiful shoreline of Tinker Island!
MCHT’s 230-acre McKenney Preserve covers the northern half of Tinker Island (the 430-acre island includes a 200-acre conservation easement limiting development on the southern half – please respect the privacy of the owners).
A prominent landmark in the middle of Blue Hill Bay, Tinker Island has five distinct plant communities that provide habitat for abundant wildlife including nesting osprey and bald eagles, porcupine, snowshoe hare, white-tailed deer, and red squirrel. Its northern ledges are important haul-outs for seal pups.
We’ll be offering free boats rides to and from Tinker Island from the Seal Cove Town Landing between 9am and 2pm. Please sign up for a 3-hour, round-trip time slot.
If you have your own boat or kayak, meet us there! There will be MCHT staff at the dock and on the island to greet you and answer any questions.
This trip is appropriate (and encouraged!) for children.
MCHT’s boats can accommodate 5-6 people at a time. The ride to Tinker Island takes approximately 15 minutes.
At the island, we’ll be able to pull right up to shore from the boat. Participants must be able to climb from the boat and onto the beach. Please wear footwear that can get wet getting on and off the boat (boots, water shoes, Teva-style sandals, etc.).
What to Expect:
The shuttles will depart from the boat launch at 9am, 10am, and 11am.
Please sign up for a 9am -12pm trip, 10am – 1pm trip, or 11am – 2pm trip.
Please sign-in with the MCHT greeters upon your arrival at the dock.
There are no bathroom facilities on the island or boat. Please be prepared to carry any waste off the island.
- Appropriate clothing, hat, and extra layers (windbreaker, rain jacket, fleece)
- Bathing suit and towel if desired
- Shoes, sandals, or rubber boots that can get wet getting on and off the boat.
- Water and snacks or a picnic brunch/lunch. Please carry off all trash.
- Sunscreen, insect repellent
- Camera, binoculars, field guide
- PFDs for children
- The Seal Cove picnic area and boat ramp is ½ mile in from the Tremont Road on the south end of the Cape Road.
- Parking: There is ample parking along the road but be sure to abide by signs asking to have cars off the road and clear of the white road edge line.
Please contact Renee Duncan at or call (207) 801-4066.
This event takes place at Tinker Island (McKenney Preserve), Tremont
The McKenney Preserve on Tinker Island in Tremont provides scenic vistas along its expansive beach-lined shores. | Learn more