Paddle the Orange River Watershed
Celebrating World Fish Migration Day!
Maine Coast Heritage Trust and Downeast Coastal Conservancy are co-sponsoring a paddle on the Orange River in celebration of World Fish Migration Day.
The day will include:
- Paddle down Orange Lake: enjoy a short hike along the northern lakeshore in MCHT’s Rocky Lake Preserve.
- Paddle and Portage from Orange Lake into Rocky Lake: explore MCHT’s Rocky Lake Preserve.
- Campfire and Picnic: Join us afterward at MCHT’s Orange Lake campsite for a campfire and picnic. Please bring your own snacks and lunch. A special treat of smoked alewives will be provided!
What to bring:
- Bring your own boat, paddles, and life jackets if you have them.
- It will be May in Maine so dress accordingly and be prepared for weather and bugs! Bring an extra layer and a hat.
- Be sure you wear waterproof footwear or shoes you don’t mind getting wet.
Don’t have a boat?
- There are a limited number of boats available free of charge upon request. Contact Jacob van de Sande at or (207) 259-5040 to reserve one.
How to get there:
We’ll meet at the MCHT Office at 160 US Rt. 1 in Whiting at 9:30 to carpool to the launch site.
MCHT Office, 160 US Rt. 1, Whiting
This event takes place at Rocky Lake, Whiting
Featuring nearly six miles of lakeshore and 3,057 acres in Whiting, this wildlife-rich preserve is a haven for outdoor enthusiasts throughout the year. | Learn more