Monday, March 16, 2020
Dear Friends of MCHT,
Our thoughts are with you as you and your loved ones grapple with COVID-19 and this moment of great uncertainty. At Maine Coast Heritage Trust, our first priority right now is to ensure the health and safety of our staff, partners, and community members. Thank you for your understanding and for joining us in this effort.
Events postponed and cancelled
In keeping with health officials’ recommendations, we’ve postponed or cancelled all events through May 2, 2020. This includes the Maine Land Conservation Conference, Calf Unveiling at Aldermere Farm, and the Voices from the Coast Celebration event at the Portland Museum of Art. We’ve also suspended registration for all spring and summer events. We will be monitoring the situation and providing updates on the status of events in the weeks and months to come.
Preserves remain open
Right now, all Maine Coast Heritage Trust preserves and trails remain open to the public, and we continue to encourage their use. We hope the resource of open land, fresh air, and sunlight will provide some comfort and relief for those able to visit.
We are closely monitoring the situation and taking guidance from the CDC and local health authorities. We ask that you do the same. For those able to visit MCHT preserves, we ask that you please take every precaution to prevent the spread of the virus. Here are some guidelines:
- If you feel sick, stay home
- Follow the CDC’s guidelines around personal hygiene – including washing your hands, sanitizing appropriate surfaces, etc.
- Keep a distance of six feet from other preserve visitors
- Attempt to visit a preserve at a time when it’s less likely to be busy
- If you find a preserve or park crowded, please return at another time
- Pay attention to local ordinances and special orders
- Check out a blog from the National Recreation and Park Association on practicing safe social distancing while enjoying the outdoors
Doing our part to flatten the curve
As of 3/17/20, MCHT staff are working remotely as part of the effort to limit the spread of the COVID – 19 virus. While we adjust to this new work approach, we are continuing to advance dozens of conservation projects, support Maine’s land trust community, and steward the lands we are entrusted with.
We thank all who generously continue to support MCHT and ask for your patience as it may take longer than usual to process your gift and send your receipt.
Your partners in conserving the Maine coast,
The Staff, Board, and Council of Maine Coast Heritage Trust