MCHT's 230-acre McKenney Preserve covers the northern half of Tinker Island (the 430-acre island includes a 200-acre conservation easement limiting development on the southern half - please respect the privacy of the owners). A prominent landmark in the middle of Blue Hill Bay, Tinker Island provides scenic vistas along its expansive shores. Ringed by a series of beaches, the island is ideal for landing small boats, picnicking, and beachcombing. Tinker is also a great place to camp at either of two designated campsites. One campsite is located near a sandy spit on the west shore that serves as an excellent swimming area. The other campsite is on the north end.
Tinker Island's five distinct plant communities provide habitat for abundant wildlife including nesting osprey and bald eagles, porcupine, snowshoe hare, white-tailed deer, and red squirrel. Its northern ledges are important haul-outs for seal pups.
Tinker was originally named Robinson Island in honor of its first European settler Captain John Robinson. While serving as a sea pilot, Robinson guided many privateers safely past the British during the Revolutionary War. By 1850, 41 people in seven households lived on the island, but by 1910 the last resident departed. Remnants of Tinker Island's past history remain: a wagon road, cellar holes, sills, wells, and stone walls are all visible today. MCHT acquired the preserve through a bargain sale in 2001 thanks to the generosity of the McKenneys and with support from the Land for Maine's Future Program.
---------- Preserve Boundary
- Camp At Established Campsites
- Limit Stay to 2 Nights
- Groups of 6 or More and Commercial Users by Permission Only. Please call 207-729-7366.
- Fires By Permit Only - Maine State Law
- Contact Maine Forest Service at 207-827-1800 for Permit
- Keep All Fires Below High Tide Line
- Do Not Cut or Break Tree Limbs, Dead or Alive
- Leave No Fire Unattended
- Completely Extinguish All Fires
- Stay on Established Trails
- Carry Out All Trash
- Including Human and Pet Waste and Toilet Paper
- Keep Pets Under Control
- Please Respect the Privacy of Preserve Neighbors
How to Get There: Tinker Island is located in Blue Hill Bay in the town of Tremont.